The first things you do in the morning may set the tone for your day. A morning routine can help you to feel more productive, empowered, and even accomplished.
It emphasizes your commitment to live in your highest potential. It sets you up for the day ahead, it energizes you and it elevates the emotions of being able to take on whatever you will encounter in the day.
My morning routine kept me sane during an emotionally challenging time in life. By committing to get up at early each day, I allowed myself the extra time before sunrise to sit in my meditation chair, drink my green juice and journal while sipping my coffee. It has become my favorite part of the day as it gives such peace and tranquillity. Making time for a workout or a walk outside in the morning has helped me too. All this may sound like a lot, but for me it truly was (and still is) my savior. Now, it has become part of my habitual routine and lifestyle.
I know that life is busy and the thought of creating space for yourself in the morning seems ridiculous. But…what if you could allow yourself to wake up earlier than usual in order to create some “Me” time. That “ME” time can make all the difference in how the rest of your day will unfold. Instead of reacting to things happening to you throughout the day, a morning routine helps you shift to being pro-active about reaching your daily goals.
Many of us have the habit of checking our phone for text messages, emails and social media immediately when we wake up. Guilty anyone? I know I sure was! This is actually not the most EFFECTIVE way to start the day. Instead, allow yourself 10 minutes to have a mindfulness practice before your coffee time.. You can take time to journal and write some sentences of gratitude.., or read a book to expand your mind. Whatever you choose to do, it’s about allowing yourself some quiet time before the rest of the house wakes up.
Consider what you can do to adopt a morning routine to support your goals and the life you want to live. Think about the person you want to be. Start with your “why” so you can envision the transformation as a result of your routine. Do you want to be successful? Do you want to create flow and have continuous focus? What would that look like for you? What can you add to your routine that will help you kick off the day proactively? Start with easy wins. Easy wins – or easy tasks – like making your bed will help you start the day off on a positive note.
Enjoy the process! This is so important. If you are too busy to do each part of your ritual each day, be compassionate with yourself. Just let it go and practice self-forgiveness if life gets too busy for you to complete your morning routine. It should give you joy, not stress!
Here are a few ideas to create your own morning routine:
- Make your bed. Successful women and men suggest creating a domino effect of achievement by starting each day with making your bed. Making your bed each morning starts your day with a sense of accomplishment, pride, and encouragement.
- Drink a glass of water. Overnight, our bodies go eight hours without hydration! Start your morning by waking up your senses and rehydrating with a glass of water.
- Meditation or stillness. Embrace moments of stillness to remember what you are grateful for upon waking.
- Journal. Journaling helps you get your thoughts onto paper and set goals. It can help you reflect on the past, appreciate the present, and decide how you want the future to look. Use these prompts to guide your journaling:
- How did yesterday feel for you?
- Set your intention for the day.
- Reflect on what you are grateful for.
- Move. One of the last things you can integrate into your morning routine is movement. Going for a walk or hitting the gym can wake you up and give you the necessary energy. Movement will also help release mood-boosting endorphins!
And remember, life is unexpected and you might have other responsibilities. Avoid giving yourself unnecessary pressure to complete your morning routine each day. Make your morning routine fun – it should be your time to reflect, energize and reset.
Your morning routine is a gift to yourself!
I'd love to hear from you
Whether you just have a question for me, or you would like to have a chat during a FREE 30 minute Discovery Call, please fill out the form below. I will reply just as soon as I can.